Hello there my people!
So I am not about the plain rice life anymore ! There are so many ingredients that you can always use to spice up that basmati. Chick peas for me, worked perfectly today. Again, you can play around with the ingredients as much as possible and also feel free to add to your preference.
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 4 table spoons of ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 cup of chick peas
- 1 tea spoon of cloves
- A few cinnamon sticks
- Bay leaves
- salt to taste
- 3 cups of water
- 1 table spoon of Cumin seeds
- Half tea spoon of tumeric powder
- A pinch of cardamon seeds
- Soak the rice in water for 20 minutes to let it soften slightly.
- Set your fire on high then put your ghee in the pan. When it gets hot enough, add your cumin seeds, cardamon,cinnamon, tumeric, bay leaves, cloves and onions. Let the onions brown completely.
3.After all the spices and onions are cooked, add the chickpeas then stir. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
4. Add your salt as you continue to stir to ensure that all the spices are evenly distributed.
5.Drain all the water from the rice then add it to the pot ,and reduce the heat slightly. Stir and mix and taste for salt.
Tip: Covering the pot with a damp towel is the best method of cooking the rice and preserving the moisture.
7. Pierce through the rice with a fork to check and ensure that all the water is gone.
Serve while still hot. Have with gravy of your choice, or just plain. Still perfect.